The application for summer 2016 is now open! Please submit your application prior to February 29, 2016.
You can submit your application here.
What is the Advanced Medical Student Fellowship?
With generous funding from the Scaife Family Foundation, IRETA is able to conduct this specialized program. The program offers students training in the field of addiction treatment and recovery incomparable to any they may have encountered in their prior medical school education or residency experience.
Is there any financial compensation for participation in the program?
Participants will receive a $150 per week stipend and a $200 transportation allowance (for those traveling from outside the Pittsburgh area) for a total of $650 for the three weeks. Rooms and some meals are also provided.
What do the students do in the program?
Students who are accepted into the program participate in an intense learning experience. Their schedules include:
• Patient contact
• Group sessions with clients
• Rounds with resident physicians
• Opportunities to present what the students have learned
What are the benefits of participating in the Medical Student Fellowship?
This program will provide participants with a clinical experience to increase awareness and knowledge in the following areas:
• Screening and diagnosing substance use disorders
• Research in substance use disorders
• Brief motivational interviewing skills
• Adult and adolescent substance use disorders
• Neonatal treatment of chemically dependent infants
• Maternal addiction
• Special population issues in addictions treatment
• Professional impairment
• Residential/inpatient and outpatient treatment modalities
• Family issues in treatment
• Psychiatric co-morbidity
• Methadone maintenance
• Systems issues in addictions treatment
• Providing referrals to addictions treatment
Who is eligible to apply?
Only medical students attending U.S. medical schools will be eligible to participate in this program.
How many students will be accepted?
In order to optimize the clinical experience of the participants, eight students will be accepted for each session.
When is the program?
The Medical Student Fellowship program is offered in two three-week sessions. Students are permitted to attend only one session.
Questions? Please contact Crystal Downey at firstname.lastname@example.org.