Clinical guidelines are one way in which the body of empirical research in an area is translated to practice.
When clinical guidelines are developed using state of the art methods and endorsed by professional organizations, or local or state behavioral health authorities, they stand to improve quality of care and patient outcomes.
IRETA’s Research and Evaluation team has extensive experience working with organizations to create clinical guidelines.
- Define the scope of the guideline, utilizing the expertise of clinical champions
- Perform a comprehensive literature review, blending both peer-reviewed research and gray literature into a cohesive summary that includes ratings of the quality of the literature
- Translate literature review findings into draft clinical guideline statements
- Facilitate an expert panel meeting to discuss the guideline statements
- Finalize clinical guidelines that include information about the strength of their underlying evidence