Frequently Asked Questions
What Does the Program Consist of?
Students who are accepted into the program participate in an intensive learning experience. Their schedules include:
- A variety of site visits
- Patient contact
- Group sessions with clients
- Training with standardized patients
- Shadowing with residents and physicians
- Opportunities to present what they have learned
When is the Fellowship?
There will be two three-week sessions in 2020, during the following dates:
- Session 1: June 8 – 26, 2020
- Session 2: July 6 – 24, 2020
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Only medical students attending a medical school in the United States will be eligible to participate in this program.
How Many Students will be Accepted?
In order to optimize the clinical experience of the participants, only eight students will be accepted for each session.
What are the Benefits of Participating?
The Scaife Fellowship provides participants with increased knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Screening for and diagnosing substance use disorders
- Brief motivational interviewing skills
- Adolescent substance use
- Substance use and pregnancy
- Special populations and addiction treatment
- Harm reduction strategies
- Residential/inpatient and outpatient treatment modalities
- Family issues in treatment
- Psychiatric co-morbidity
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
- Providing referrals to addiction treatment from medical settings
Is There Financial Compensation for Participating?
Participants will receive a $150 per week stipend and a $200 transportation allowance for a total of $650 for the three weeks. Rooms and some meals are also provided.
Is This Program Only for Students Who Plan to Specialize in Addiction Medicine or Psychiatry?
No, students interested in all specialties are encouraged to apply. All medical professionals will encounter patients with substance use disorders and therefore need training to work with this population.
Please contact Jessica Williams if you have additional questions about the program. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.