Frequently Asked Questions
What Does the Program Consist of?
Students who are accepted into the program participate in an intensive learning experience. Their schedules include:
- A variety of site visits
- Patient contact
- Group sessions with clients
- Training with standardized patients
- Shadowing with residents and physicians
- Opportunities to present what they have learned
**Some of the above activities will be adjusted for the virtual program due to COVID.**
When is the Fellowship?
There will be two three-week sessions in 2021, during the following dates:
- Session 1: June 7 – 25, 2021
- Session 2: July 12 – July 30, 2021
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Medical students attending a medical school in the United States will be eligible to participate in this program.
How Many Students will be Accepted?
In order to optimize the clinical experience of the participants, only eight students will be accepted for each session.
What are the Benefits of Participating?
The Scaife Fellowship provides participants with increased knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Screening for and diagnosing substance use disorders
- Brief motivational interviewing skills
- Adolescent substance use
- Substance use and pregnancy
- Special populations and addiction treatment
- Harm reduction strategies
- Residential/inpatient and outpatient treatment modalities
- Family issues in treatment
- Psychiatric co-morbidity
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
- Providing referrals to addiction treatment from medical settings
Is There Financial Compensation for Participating?
Participants will receive a $200 living compensation for the time period they are accepted for the fellowship.
Is This Program Only for Students Who Plan to Specialize in Addiction Medicine or Psychiatry?
No, students interested in all specialties are encouraged to apply. All medical professionals will encounter patients with substance use disorders and therefore need training to work with this population.
Please contact Marla Kauffman if you have additional questions about the program. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org